[Magdalen] TEC talk

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 21 11:30:56 UTC 2019

The position was that oversight for the colonies came from the Bishop of
Fulham back in London. The Scottish Episcopal Church was already
independent of the Church of England, which also covered Wales. The
Church of England was (and is) the Established Church but in Scotland
the (Presbyterian) Church of Scotland is the Established Church. As the
Established Church all those being ordained had to swear allegiance to
the British monarch, which Seabury could not do as he was to serve a
country that had cast off allegiance to the Crown. Since the Scottish
Episcopal Church did, and does, not have that same relationship to the
Crown this Oath is not required of those being ordained.

After Seabury's consecration Parliament changed the law so that, in
appropriate circumstances, the Oath of Allegiance could be dispensed
with. As a result a few years later White and Provoost could be
consecrated by the Archbishops of Canterbury and York and the Bishops of
Bath and Wells and of Peterborough. Madison, #4 in the succession, was
the last bishop consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury for service
in the United States, assisted on that occasion by the Bishops of
Rochester and of London.

Roger