[Magdalen] TEC talk

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Tue Oct 22 15:23:38 UTC 2019

I think I broadly agree with this recent post, Ferdinand. We are not
dealing with something which is clear cut.

That said, the point of departure was the number of entities that might
have regarded each other as sister churches when the PECUSA was created
in the 1790s. You excluded the Church of Ireland from that, writing
>> the Church of Ireland as
>> a separate church only came into being with disestablishment in 1869

I think that the CofI had separate existence, and as primary evidence I
will repost the start of Article V of the Acts of Union 1800:

"the Churches of England and Ireland, as now by Law established, be
united into one Protestant Episcopal Church"

So, prima facie, there was (before 1801) a Church of Ireland, legally
separate from the Church of England, established by law, and both
protestant and episcopal. If that were not so, then the article makes no
sense.

I think the use of the term "protestant episcopal" in the Acts might
also suggest that the use of the term by the PECUSA does not necessarily
derive from the Scottish consecration of its first bishop, but that this
was a more generally used description of the nature of the English and
related churches. Granted that the Acts post-date the creation of the
PECUSA, so it is not conclusive evidence, merely suggestive. It's not
totally inconceivable that the derivation is in the opposite order. The
Scottish influence on the eucharistic liturgy of the young American
church is another matter, well-documented, and not disputed by me.

simon

--
Simon Kershaw
simon at kershaw.org.uk