[Magdalen] TEC talk

Ferdinand von Prondzynski (Emeritus) f.von-prondzynski at rgu.ac.uk
Mon Oct 21 23:04:56 UTC 2019

Right here in Aberdeen we have one of the foremost historians of the Scottish Episcopal Church, and I'll ask him. But from what I know the C of E never established its own parishes in Scotland. What did happen was that some Episcopal parishes aligned with the C of E, in the sense that they used the English BCP and other arrangements. But I do believe that there wasn't a rupture in communion, just in politics. But I shall get more information on this.

What is certainly true is that the Episcopal Church found a strong identity in its support for the Jacobite cause, which ended only when the last realistic Jacobite pretender died. When the Old Pretender arrived in Aberdeen during the 1715 Jacobite uprising he was welcomed by the Episcopalian community, who swore allegiance to him at a special Evensong in the city (which was recently re-enacted). This particular element of the Church's (and the country's) history is now often forgotten, and right now I am part of a conversation aimed at re-establishing this particular identity, which could be interesting in the light of Scotland's consideration of its future in- or outside the UK (and the EU).

History is always interesting!

Ferdinand