[Magdalen] Roman Basilicas.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Sep 3 17:29:08 UTC 2019

I note a news item from today that the Pope visitedanother Marian church/shrine to petition for herprotection during his forthcoming trip to Mozambique.

This time, that Marian location was none other than
Santa Maria Maggiore  (Saint Mary Major).

The high altar of Saint Mary's is freestanding in the westend of the building, as are most Roman Basilicas.This means when a celebrant is facing the congregationin the nave, he is actually facing east (ad orientem).
Until Vatican-2, worship was always to the (liturgical)east;

T\his misunderstanding of the layout of these oldRoman churches produced at least in part, that mania for versus populum following Vatican-2.

Too late for correction.  The cat is out of the bag on this one.I'm just a broken record in this matter.