[Magdalen] Roman Basilicas.

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Thu Sep 5 09:06:04 UTC 2019

And there was me thinking that we Anglicans had been doing this since
the Reformation, along with other protestant groups.

Cranmer introduced this in the 1552 Book of Common Prayer, with the
communion table placed lengthwise in the chancel (aligned east-west),
the priest on the north side and the people gathered around on the east,
south and west.

The Laudian reaction returned the communion tables to the east end of
the chancel, leaving the priest standing at the north end of the table.
Fortunately the idea that we all gather around the altar-table together
has been recovered in more recent times.

Bosco Peters has a good (and short!) post on this "Omnium
circumstantium" -- a much better term, and better concept, than the
rather adversarial "versus populum" tag:
    https://liturgy.co.nz/omnium-circumstantium

simon

--
Simon Kershaw