[Magdalen] We have a new bishop!

Charles Wohlers chadwohl at satucket.com
Mon Sep 30 01:40:56 UTC 2019

Yesterday my dear wife & I attended the consecration of Shannon
MacVean-Brown as the 11th bishop of Vermont, at the Ira Allen Chapel at
UVM in Burlington. (Our cathedral wasn't big enough).

It was quite a service, although also quite long. A highlight was the
presence of a gospel choir from (of all places) Plattsburgh State, just
across the lake. It indeed was quite a big and joyous occasion.

You can watch it online at https://diovermont.org/ if you like. I
haven't seen it, as, after all, I was there in person. Lee, who has
watched much of it, says that being there in person was definitely
better - she suspects that the Chapel wasn't really set up for
recording, sound-wise. Anyway, she says that both she & I are visible at
times in the audience. You can easily find Lee as she's the only clergy
person with long grey hair. I am there sitting right in the middle of
the row immediately in back of the clergy (in one of two rows reserved
for clergy spouses). All priests were asked to wear cassock & surplice,
which Lee wasn't all that happy with. She, of course, hadn't worn that
get-up for a good number of years and, needless to say, the cassock
didn't fit (a very common complaint among the clergy, apparently). But,
they all managed, apparently, and the cassock & surplice makes it easy
to pick out the clergy in the video.

Everything seemed to work out OK, although as I was walking from the car
to the chapel I came upon our deacon on her cell phone. Seems she had
forgotten her alb and she was supposed to be the Deacon of the Table.
She was calling her daughter, who lives in Waterbury (~45 minutes away)
to bring it. Maybe that's why the wanted us all there really early? In
any event, she was wearing an alb when setting up the altar, so somehow
it turned out OK.

Afterwards we hung around for awhile - I got to help Barbara Harris get
undressed <g>. We were among the last to arrive at the reception, and we
didn't get home until 6PM, after being out since 7:30 that morning.

Oh, and Lee got to join ~100 clergy (didn't know there were that many in
Vermont!) for lunch with Michael Curry the day before, while I went to
the Red Cross to give blood and then spend too much $$$ on jazz records
at the local record store.

And, needless to say, we both had a long and very sound sleep last
night.

--
Chad Wohlers
chadwohl at satucket.com