[Magdalen] Safe?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 5 09:50:38 UTC 2020

Here in England life is gradually opening up again in fits and starts.
August is traditionally a quiet month with schools shut and people often
like to get away. In the past few weeks the government has introduced
some exceptions to its blanket "don't travel abroad unless absolutely
essential" which has severely impacted travel agents. For many places
still self-isolation is required on return to the UK though enforcement
is likely to be limited. Even within the UK the various devolved
governments have adopted restrictions but a major concern has been
people flocking to the beaches and other places of natural beauty while
ignoring social distancing. More shops and other facilities are now able
to open again if they can do so while observing health restrictions.
Masks are mandatory in shops and on public transport. Most people seem
to comply but some don't.

The government is concerned about the effect of reopening schools next
month, which they say is a priority, and further relaxations are not
likely until after that has happened. There is even talk about rolling
back some of the relaxations that have occurred. That would not go down
well. Official advice on how to reopen schools safely is scanty and the
latest came out after schools had finished for the Summer, including
advice to discuss with staff what their vacation plans were and the
possible need for self-isolation on return. Brilliant timing (not).
Obviously the details have to be worked out at school level but the
general impression is that the guidelines do not take account of
practicalities in almost all schools.

Some areas of the country are "of concern" because of high rates of
infection locally, and restrictions have been reimposed in some. Here in
Bedford there was local concern some weeks ago and there was a deep dive
into why rates were higher here. The official report was published
yesterday. It says that the vectors of infection seem to have been in
households and visitors to households rather than community facilities.
Now that report has been released the Borough Council will presumably
consider whether it is OK to reopen swimming pools, gyms and other
leisure facilities here as has happened already elsewhere in the country.

My local parish church had services for the first time on Sunday and I
went. As with bars and restaurants we had to sign in and give a contact
phone number and there  were other restrictions such as separated
seating and no singing..Communion was the bread only and the queue for
that got a bit confused at times. I will be presiding at a couple of
other churches later this month and I wait to see what they are doing to
be Covid-safe.

Roger