[Magdalen] Internet puzzle?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 14 22:47:18 UTC 2020

This can be a problem even in England with its higher population
density. There was at least one case where the people in one village did
it themselves. They ran the cable along the verges which were part of
the farmland across the hedge rather than having to pay to get a trench
along the road. Cambridge University did it on a bigger scale. When they
wanted to set up a network for the university they got a quote for doing
it the conventional way. Then they realised that the University and its
constituent colleges have a good spread of property around the city.
They only had to pay to lay cables across roads rather than along them.

Cell phone coverage is another problem in many areas as there are
significant non-spots. A couple of days ago a train hit a landslip
caused by heavy rain after dry weather. The driver and conductor (and
one passenger) were killed but another off-duty railway worker had to
walk for a mile along the line to a signal box to raise the alarm and
get the line closed because there was no cell-phone signal.

Roger