[Magdalen] Where are we

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Fri Dec 18 16:30:37 UTC 2020

Man, it is good to see you all!  I thought of you at Thanksgiving, remember
how we always shared holiday best wishes, but my brain/heart and fingers on
the keyboard so seldom cooperate!  So I didn't post greetings, either.  But
I think of you all often, and do manage to "see" some of you on Facebook.
Speaking of Facebook, I did the grisly task this week of cleaning out my
friends' list of all the dear departed, of which I still had several,
including our beloved Mrs. Harris.  It was a sad task, but my list is way
too lengthy as it is.

I'm still here in Buffalo, still, for the time being, with my little church
in the 'burbs.  I think they're considering eliminating my position, as our
income has suffered and they have generously continued to deposit my
paycheck twice a month.  I've encouraged them to delay the decision till
the end of the 1st quarter, and get a sense of how the new year looks (and
Easter is April 4, and we might well be meeting back in the parking lot by
then).  But who knows?  We're planning to talk about it on Christmas Eve.
Not great timing.  Maybe they'll just cut my hours, which would be fine, as
I already feel guilty about doing very little work.  No office hours, of
course, no Sunday services (my old people, who of course are the most
constant, still don't do much technology -- Marion, I wish you could give
them a talking-to and a tutorial!).

I recently moved to a new, larger apartment, a duplex-carriage house right
behind my old apartment building.  For only a little more money, I get a
lot more space and a lot more "character."  I have an extra bedroom again,
so if the plague ever passes, I can have guests again!  There's a bed and
breakfast right across the street, but mine is cheaper, for selected
guests!  Right now it's being used for storage (I just finished my odd
little move, which I did with bins, a hand truck, and movers to move the
big pieces, on Thanksgiving weekend), but I'm steadily getting settled in.
It will be a fun winter project, has been already.

I've decorated more for Christmas than I have since I left Tennessee.
Partly it's because I have more space (including a sweet little
balcony/porch with wrought-iron railings), and partly because the cheer and
light is needed in these dark days.  I'll admit that my lights and
garlands, candles and tree do cheer me up.  I do a little Zoom (my dream
team, clergy meetings, and my Jung study group has just started again, as
well as AA meetings).  My big quarantine project has been weight loss, and
I'm down 60 pounds now.  Oh, yeah, and Zoom is great for yoga and cardio
classes, especially now, since I have more room to stretch out and dance
around.

My little dog continues to be the light of my life.  I really never knew
how the little ones just kind of burrow into your lap and your heart as
they do!  I've always loved my dogs, but this one is my true sweetness and
light.

Got to say I've got a little bit of "Covid fatigue."  I'm really quite sick
of it all.  I didn't really have a big life, but I sure miss the little
life that I did have! I feel so resentful of the people who won't do the
simple hygiene that it takes to keep us all safe and mitigate this plague!
But with the vaccines, Advent really does feel like Advent now -- waiting,
watching, hoping that soon, soon, soon we'll be liberated!  I did very well
for 8 months or so, but now I'm really and truly sick of it.

Another group Zoom after the holidays sounds grand to me!  Would love to
see you all again!

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY