[Magdalen] The list...

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 19 22:23:47 UTC 2020

Sheila,

It depends what sort of message you want to leave with them, and that
copy of the music is certainly old. The UK adopted decimal currency in
February 1971. If it doesn't give the decimal equivalent (25p) then it
dates from significantly before them. Apparently as a teenager Joan
played at a local RC church which decided to dispense with her services
as she didn't live in the parish, though she did live in the parish
which it had been carved out of. Apparently she decided as her final
postlude to play the Internationale! Some say that the appropriate
response to "Merry Christmas" is "Happy Easter". (Years ago I was
supplying in a church for the first time at Christmas and started my
sermon by saying "Happy Easter" before going into the theology for
that.) So it might be appropriate to play "See the conquering hero
comes" from Handel's Judas Maccabeus.

Roger