[Magdalen] Lessons from Covid

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 23 23:04:17 UTC 2020

We are familiar with the quotation that "all things work together for
good with those that love God" (if I have got that quite right) so what
benefit can we see from the current straitened times in the Church? My
current situation is that the church is open two hours a day for private
prayer but we are allowed to share in organized acts of communal worship
which is twice a week in this parish, once on Sunday and once midweek.
In that context I can recognize three boons for myself.

The first and most regular is that a small group of us now say Morning
Prayer six days a week via Zoom. I have always felt awkward saying the
Office on my own with nobody to respond and flicking through the service
book and bible is demanding. I am able to follow and participate from a
text laid out in order on one screen while another device connects me
via Zoom with my fellow worshippers. That is certainly a blessing.

The second is that when I go to church and settle into my chair some
time before the service starts it is more peaceful and easier to settle
into God's presence.

Thirdly, and I noticed this particularly at the Service of Lessons and
Carols on Sunday when all the carols were sung by the choir, the words
can wash over me more easily bathing me in their meaning.

Roger