[Magdalen] Gone to the dogs

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 15:59:47 UTC 2020

One of the nicest things about this particular shelter is that it's a
"minimal kill" shelter. We euthanize animals ONLY for medical or severe
behavioral problems (repeat biters, etc.). Otherwise we work with them to
socialize them and we sometimes move them to partner shelters of the same
type. Currently we have a big hound who is very difficult to work with. I
haven't even tried, he's so wild. As we would say in Tennessee, "He ain't
had no home training!" Bigger and stronger handlers with more experience
work with him and although he has the typical sweet hound nature, he is 5
 years old and isn't making quick progress. He's a candidate for our foster
program or possible transfer.

Right now we have a couple of pedigreed and very much neglected bull
terriers. The female is adorable and would make someone a little princess
of a dog. She's easy to walk and play with. The male is a fraidy-cat,
scared of his own shadow. Staff told me they were brought in in little tiny
carriers and it appeared they'd been kept in those much of the time. It's
awful how some people treat their animals.