[Magdalen] 2020d

cady soukup cadyasoukup at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 14:48:37 UTC 2020

Thank you Allan,

I have "The Hidden Life of Trees" lined up as one of my next reads. I
do read books on Kindle, but I can appreciate 'real' books as a
friendlier interface. A good friend reads ONLY books, so if I want to
share a book with her, I have to send her a real book!

The book "To Speak for the Trees" takes tree communication a few steps
further (trees on watersheds and the oceans into which the water
sheds, and trees as known by indigenous populations in Europe and
Canada, for example). Wow! Yes, the communication is slow, but it is
present and important to productivity (rather than the short-term tree
farms that have dominated agricultural thought/practice for so many
years).

I work from home, so do not drive much any more, so audio books are a
bit of a waste. I also get so thoroughly bound up in an audio book
that I have been known to miss turns on long trips. Embarrassing but
informative as I try to figure out where I am and what to do next. The
worst (a family memory) is a trip on which we missed the exit, took
the next (toll road) exist, had almost no gas, and were trapped on a
small road going through an odd series of backwater Appalachian towns
that had no gas stations. The kids still laugh about that one as we
all had a lengthy discussion about navigation, paying attention, and
lack thereof. They have become very good drivers (due to their
mother's bad examples?)!

My fascination with trees is increased by mushroom hunting & walking
through "our" woods (we have 10+ acres of tulip poplar-dominated woods
at the top of a local watershed; we have permission to walk on several
other local properties encompassing a much larger area). Last year, my
husband gifted us with a mushroom hunting "foray" in Floyd, VA, where
we joined a crew of mushroom hunters from all over the east coast. The
leader is a self-educated, dedicated polymath who has hunted mushrooms
for decades all over the world, adding tremendously to mycological
lore and information. We have already signed up for the 2020 spring
foray in Floyd.

I had hoped to familiarize myself enough with our trees by bark that I
could walk through the woods in the winter and be able to tell the
trees apart, but that has not happened (to my satisfaction) although I
know many of the main players. I'm not quite sure how to approach
learning more about how our trees communicate without specialized
equipment, but that may be an aspirational goal?

Remembering the Japanese persimmon tree in your back yard and how
Camille baked a lovely cake with them. Thanks for your hospitality
ringing down through the years!

Much love - Cady