[Magdalen] Samuel Seabury and Church of Scotland

Romain Kang romain at kzsu.stanford.edu
Sat Jul 11 12:35:58 UTC 2020

One of my Lutheran friends watched "Hamilton" and started musing on the
historical Seabury:

I read that the only condition imposed by the Church of Scotland was that
Seabury learn and promote the Scottish rite of the Eucharist, which is
considerably longer than that of the Book Of Common Prayer. Is that liturgy
still used in the U.S.? I've only taken communion twice in an Episcopal
Church, and both times the liturgy was the same one I knew from the Roman
Catholic Mass and Lutheran Order of Worship for Communion.

I don't remember hearing about the condition regarding the Scottish rite,
but I'm not aware of any specifically Scottish elements in the TEC's 21st
century eucharistic liturgies.  Anyone know more about this history?

Cheers,
Romain