[Magdalen] Samuel Seabury and Church of Scotland

Chad Wohlers chad at satucket.com
Sat Jul 11 14:56:44 UTC 2020

Yes, it is the case that the US Episcopal Church (more or less) adopted
the Scottish Eucharist and used it through the 1928 BCP. The differences
between that and the English 1662 BCP had to do with Invocation of the
Holy Spirit and other points which seem rather arcane to my admittedly
non-theological mind. The current US 1979 BCP, along with the CofE
Common Worship, Canadian BAS, RC Mass, etc., owe more to the liturgical
revival of the mid 20th century.

I have them all online so you can compare them yourself:
Scottish 1637 BCP:
http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/Scotland/BCP_1637.htm
Scottish Eucharist used at Seabury's Consecration:
http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/Scotland/Scot1764_Communion.htm
The first US BCP  (1789):
http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/1789/BCP_1789.htm
US 1928 BCP: http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/1928/BCP_1928.htm