[Magdalen] the word "smart"

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 14 12:44:14 UTC 2020

Words do indeed keep changing or adding meanings, and they have done so
for centuries. The Preface to the 1662 BCP makes reference to this as
one of the factors the editors had used in their revision of earlier
editions. As for "smart" there is the description "smart casual"
sometimes used in a dress code to mean that what you wear should be
clean and not scruffy. It should also fit and be worn properly - I doubt
low-hanging jeans would be regarded as acceptable. I must admit that my
own standards have slipped a little now that I have so many video
conferences. In the past I have always worn a tie for meetings I have at
Borough Hall but now I attend virtually from home I wear an open-necked
shirt. The smartness reminds me of the importance of our deliberations
which affect which school a child can go to.

Roger