[Magdalen] Mary, Marry, and Merry

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Mon May 18 14:53:34 UTC 2020

Scott's description also applies in England, certainly in the English I
speak (which most would probably consider to be "standard" "unaccented"
English). The three words have the clearly distinct pronunciations.

The difference between the first and the third (Mary and merry) is the
length of the vowel -- long "eh" in Mary and short "eh" in merry.

The vowel is marry is distinct, a short sharp "a" as in "map", and a
pure vowel not a diphthong as it might be in the US ("meh-up").

And in all three the "r" is audible but not trilled (non-rhotic).

simon

--
Simon Kershaw
simon at kershaw.org.uk