[Magdalen] Mary, Marry, and Merry

Lesley de Voil lesleymdv at gmail.com
Tue May 19 03:01:04 UTC 2020

On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 12:16, P. Dan Brittain <pdan.brittain at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 9:10 PM Christopher Hart <cervus51 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > OK, as long this thread is going into other pronunciation quirks who
> > pronounces Aunt and Ant the same as each other? I rhyme Aunt with want
> and
> > Ant with can't.
> >

> I always liked one that said I am going to visit my Aunt (like want) who
> lives in Staunton (like Stanton

Hey, hang on, don't any of you pronounce "want" to rhyme with "font"(which
rhymes with the first  "o" in "pontoon.")
Overhere, on the other side of the bigger pond, "aunt"
 would rhyme with "can't" (pronounced c-ah-nt)
But, enquiring minds want to know, how  do you pronounce "auntie"? ( the
diminutive of "aunt" but often used by aboriginal Australians as a term of
respect towards all older women.)

Regards
Lesley de Voil
--