[Magdalen] Mary, Marry, and Merry

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Tue May 19 09:01:27 UTC 2020

The trouble with suggesting other words that rhyme with the one under
discussion is that other people may pronounce those words differently
too. Hence of course the IPA, but that's hard for ordinary people and
hard in email too.

I pronounce "aunt" as ah-nt, but "want" as w-ont (but not like wont
which is pronounced woe-nt or woh-nt!) Aunt rhymes with can't
("cah-nt"). "Ant" and "can" both have a short "a", which I don't think I
can represent for US speakers!

simon

--
Simon Kershaw