[Magdalen] Mary, Marry, and Merry

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue May 19 16:41:03 UTC 2020

I used to have a colleague who was thoroughly American (midwestern, I
think) but had some fascinating affectations in his speech. Basically, the
way he spoke made me think he wanted to fix some of the typical American
underpronunciations, especially of the letter "t." So while his accent was
definitely American, he would take care to fully pronounce the "t" in
"political," "title," and the like. While I hear these as improvements, I
also hear them as a bit bizarre. Can we decide to speak in a particular way
without it being regarded as an unacceptable affectation?

I think I modify my vowels not to be so flat, but that may be mainly in my
head. I know that when I read a lesson in church, or chant the epistle, I'm
extra-aware of fully pronouncing final consonants like t and d.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA