[Magdalen] Mary, Marry, and Merry

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Tue May 19 16:40:43 UTC 2020

Over and beyond the pronunciation discussion of "doesn't" there is the puregrammatical aspect of the word.  Forget attempts at getting "who" and "whom"correct, I'd settle for someone with whom I interact, using the third person singularof this relative pronoun ("doesn't") instead of the all purpose "don't" form where thisform should not be used.

And then there is the "to lay" and "to lie" quagmire.  This is also probably a lostgrammar battle.

My partner is a washout for all of these words, but then Spanish is his nativetongue, not English.  I will say, however, that his Spanish (USVI) and that of thedominant Dominican Hispanics in NE Pennsylvania USA bears very little resemblanceto that elegant language I was taught at the UW-Madison back in the 1950's (CastilianSpanish).

David Strang.