[Magdalen] Garden report

P. Dan Brittain pdan.brittain at gmail.com
Sun May 24 20:11:36 UTC 2020

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 3:00 PM Grace Cangialosi <gracecan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a front yard full of violets...and buttercups...and
> dandelions...and clover. Oh...and some grass! But I live in the country,
> and as long as it’s green, it can grow, and I now from time to time.

I do the same in the city (town/village, we're not in a big place) - as
long as it's green, it stays.

> Got a little start on some actual gardening this afternoon. I put in 4
> tomato plants in 5gallon buckets with cages around them and started
> “seasoning” 2 straw bales for additional planting. I should have gotten 4
> more. I did some straw bale gardening several years ago, and it really is a
> great system. I should have started preparing these bales a couple of weeks
> ago, though.

I've used straw for potatoes but that's about all. About 1/3 of my tomatoes
are in pails/tubs/grow bags. I managed to start all my own this year and I
had filled many of the tubs with compost from my pile - ended up with a lot
of tomato volunteers, we'll see what they turn out to be.