[Magdalen] Garden report

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun May 24 20:22:57 UTC 2020

Our problems are more in the line of creeping charlie, crown vetch, and a
nasty little $#@ which I have just learned is commonly called "stickywilly"
although I had previously referred to it as "hitchhiker" for its nasty
habit of clinging to your socks and pants, and to your gloves and sleeves
when you try to pull it out. And in our lower flowerbeds, poison ivy and
the ever-present "creeping Virginia", otherwise known as Virginia creeper
(Parthenocissus quinquefolia). which look pretty much alike in their early
stages. The violets are all in the grass. We can't have tomatoes because of
black walnuts. I have tried to grow them in containers on the upper deck
but they haven't done well so I've given up. I do have a couple of pepper
plants up there, otherwise the crops are pretty much limited to greens and
herbs.