[Magdalen] Is anyone here worshipping in person inside a church?

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 17:54:23 UTC 2020

We have a 9 a.m. Mass broadcast via Zoom from inside the church, and the
only ones inside (all masked) are the celebrant, deacon, lector, organist,
and the senior warden who lives in the coach house and runs the technical
stuff. Organ prelude and postlude are live; Kyrie, hymns, chanted propers,
and Communion motet are recorded.

We then have an 11 a.m. Mass in church, with up to 40 (I believe)
pre-registered attendees socially distanced. There are ushers to help with
instructions and traffic flow through the correct doors and to check for
(and provide if needed) masks and hand sanitizer. and a cleaning crew to
sanitize surfaces afterwards.

I am not ready, personally, to attend in person, and our verger has said
it's fine for me to say no to serving (as acolyte or whatever) until I'm
ready. She said she has enough volunteers, so I'm not letting anyone down.
This helps me a lot. It's really OK to say no (and I'm sure it has been; I
just always feel I'm being unhelpful if I don't say yes). Wonderful to see
new people getting involved. There are some I haven't heard from since the
pandemic started; I hope they're like me and tuning in weekly. I do attend
our Wednesday evening prayer and Mass and help with responding, lectoring,
or tech stuff as needed. Feels good to have said no recently as well to
being the Wednesday officiant/acolyte, as I think I've done that for enough
years and I don't want anyone to think I own that job. It'll continue to be
covered via a rota.

I do feel bereft of the Sacrament and need to make plans for feeling
comfortable enough to go on a Sunday and receive it.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA