[Magdalen] Worship and job updates..

Sheila Ketler debbiedimond52 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 18:05:49 UTC 2020

Hi everyone
So I did not get that job... Four days after I did the interview I was
advised in an email that I
would not be considered for the position. They did not talk to any of my
references... When I needed a reference I phoned one of them and advised
that I would like permission to give his name as a reference. Well this was
a priest I know fairly well as I worked for him for five years and only
stopped working at the parish because they closed the doors... He said he
would give a reference. So two weeks later he called me up and said that
their organist is now ill and needs to take a leave of absence duration not
specified. At first we thought it would be for two or three Sundays but it
is turning out to be more than that. I have been asked if I would be
willing to take over as a substitute organist until he returns. Of course
if he does not return I am hoping that I would be considered as a permanent
replacement. They are worshiping with social distancing..This is the third
week that they have been in church.... Last Sunday was when the organist
advised he wanted time off and I was called last Sunday evening... My first
Sunday was today.. They were using the 1963 setting which is my favorite
one - it is the one I am most familiar with as a young Anglican I learned
the words to that service sitting beside my mother as we worshipped
together...
Mom could attend Anglican services Easter and Christmas and the rest of the
time was playing the organ at the Baptist church. I come by the talent
honestly I learned about church music as a baby beside my mom who was
playing and refused to let her daughter out of her sight for a single
second. The buggy was right next to the organ as mom played the service...
I felt so comfortable in that setting today... I told them I will play for
as long as is needed (if they find out they need to hire I will forward a
resume!!)  I think we are looking at least until March...

That means I get to do Advent and Christmas.. I now need to get ahold of
the Ordo... I almost ordered one when I auditioned now I think I really
should get one.. I would like the hymns I play to fit the lectionary...

Hope everyone is doing well
Sheila