[Magdalen] RIP Fr. Kyrill

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 20:34:10 UTC 2021

My priest died yesterday, presumably of a heart attack. He was not that
old, probably in his late 50s, and he did have some health problems, but
holy cow. I had a call from his wife this morning to tell me and we talked
at some length as we have been friends for several years. She was
understandably blindsided as she had been away and came home to find
paramedics and sheriff deputies in her house. Fr. Kyrill's mother was home
at the time and had called them.

Obviously prayers for Matushka Dena would be appreciated, and for the rest
of Father's family. Also for our very tiny congregation as we are an
outlier branch of the greater Orthodox Church, currently under the
oversight of the French Orthodox Church (yes, there is such a thing, and it
is under the See of Constantinople). We were *just* getting our act
together after a long hiatus, much of it caused by Covid and the rest
caused by the rebuilding of a structure to serve as a chapel. It would be
nice if we could get a priest, but they don't just fall out of the sky.
Meanwhile, there is one who has offered to come once a month, which is
better than nothing, He is a different flavor of Orthodox, but nobody much
cares.