[Magdalen] Like I Was Puzzled.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Dec 4 19:10:50 UTC 2014

In a message dated 12/4/2014 1:56:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gracecan at gmail.com writes:

Well  now, Kate, at least one of those is totally regional, and it's the
pop/soda  divide.  I never heard it called soda until I was in PA after I
graduated  from high school and made the mistake of ordering a chocolate soda.
What  arrived was not a tall dish containing ice cream, seltzer, chocolate
syrup, a  long spoon and a straw, but a bottle and a  glass!>>>

The change isn't strictly at the Pennsylvania border either.   Most
Pittsburghers say "pop."

As an Upper Midwesterner transplanted to Eastern PA, I converted
long ago from "pop" to "soda."

David S.