[Magdalen] Like I Was Puzzled.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 19:15:28 UTC 2014

Actually, I think most folks get wrapped around the axle with terminology
and forget the reality.  Adverbs and adjectives are the same thing, one
being used to modify verbs, the other to modify nouns.  There's no
difference.  So why do we need two different types of word for the same
thing?  George Carlin said that he thought it was strange to have three
words, flammable, inflammable and nonflammable ("Seems like two words ought
to cover that. I mean, either something flams, or it doesn't.")

"Slow" is pretty clear.  The slow boat to china is slow because it moves
slow. If we say slow instead of slowly, we lose nothing except a wasted
syllable.  We obviously don't need a word slowly when slow does the job
perfectly well.

What? One wishes to keep all things just the way that they WERE?  Well,
have fun reading Beowulf, Chaucer, and so on, unedited then.  Fair is fair.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente