[Magdalen] Creme de la Creme.

James David Walley jwalley at jdw-media.com
Mon Dec 22 09:06:03 UTC 2014

My experience with Cold Stone Creamery is that, if you object to the added ingredients in B&J, you probably will like them even less. Cold Stone's claim to fame is that you "design your own" ice cream by picking flavorings and fillings/toppings (nuts, candies, etc.) that are hand-mixed into their base vanilla. The problem is, that base isn't very good -- it struck me that the wax and oil content is very high, more so than any standard store-bought variety I've encountered.  The result is that the customer-chosen flavorings and toppings utterly overwhelm the ice cream itself, to the point where it is merely the substance that holds all the "extras" together. There's also the problem that, in order to make it easier to mix (?), the ice cream seems kept at a relatively-warmer temperature, so you don't get the shock of cold that should be a part of eating ice cream in the first place.  There was a local company up here, Marble Slab Creamery, that took a similar approach with better results but, sadly, it wound up going out of business.

Sent from my iPad