[Magdalen] Creme de la Creme.

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 14:50:49 UTC 2014

Carrageenan:

When I was a kid, Grammie made a dessert called "seamoss farina."

We went down on the beach after a storm and gathered white seamoss.
It looks a little like loose broccoli florets, a stalk and feathery bits
above.
Comes in two varieties: red and white. We were careful to pick the
white, not because there's anything wrong with the red, but it makes
an ugly pudding.

Wash the stalks in fresh water, scrape out all the baby barnacles and
snails. Dry on newspaper in the sun on the porch. Store in brown
paper bags on a high shelf. Keeps a long time.

Later boil, strain, add milk & sugar. When cool, you get a frothy
white gel, delicious.

Seamoss began to disappear from the beaches when I was in
my twenties. It was being harvested for carrageenan.
-M