[Magdalen] Christmas pudding

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 22 18:47:39 UTC 2014

On 22/12/2014 18:12, Susan Hagen wrote:
> Search Amazon for steamed pudding molds.  I've heard you can improvise
> one by covering a pan with a double layer of foil and tying it tightly
> with string.  I do think the tube pan shape of a real mold ensures
> that you don't have a soggy center.

This side of the pond it is normal to use an ordinary pyrex or pottery
bowl that you might use for mixing, whisking, etc.  This is then covered
as you indicate to keep it watertight, ideally with a pleat to allow
expansion.  I have never known one with a soggy middle which could
indicate undercooking.  The traditional Christmas pudding takes many
hours, several when freshly made then put away to store and resteamed
for some more hours before serving.

Roger