[Magdalen] Like I Was Puzzled.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 23 09:21:59 UTC 2014

On 23/12/2014 01:55, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> In a message dated 12/22/2014 8:38:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> jguthrie at pipeline.com writes:
>
> I  suppose English has become the common language by default (thanks to the
>
> internet?).>>>>
>
> Oh I don't think it's just the internet..
>
> When you combine the remnants of the grand British Empire
> with the world's current economic and military powerhouse (USA),
> English is inevitable as the Lingua Franca.
>
> Of course, wait a few decades (or less) and it may well
> be Mandarin/Cantonese that is the world's common language!

That will cause chaos in the transport industry since English *is* the
universal language in air and sea transport.  I understand that precise
accenting is important in the various Chinese dialects, which is
difficult when radio transmissions are not always totally clear.

I would also note that before the Internet took off the residual
European Free Trade Area (after other nations had left to be in the
European Union) had and has English as its working language, despite it
no being the native tongue of any of its member states.

Roger