[Magdalen] Music memories

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 23 16:31:54 UTC 2014

All those pieces have memories for me too. I remember my aunt, my first
music teacher, handing me the music and asking me to play it. I was about 8
or 9 and I loved it. I didn't know a think about it. I think that is the
way I found out about the Maronious Blacksmith as well. The first time I
sang the same movement from How Lovely was in the DePaul Summer Chorus in
1960 from Rene Dosogne. I knew there was a German Requiem, but I didn't
know the piece and I have loved it since. That was the same year I sang the
Marienlieder by Brahms and dello Joio's Hymn to St Caecilia.ll
all of which have remained favorites. Despite Purcell and Handell the Dello
Joio setting of the words "But Bright Caecilia made the wonder higher when
to her organ vocal breath was given" is indelible in my memory. I have the
Youtube performance from the University of Kansas bank and I just looked at
my score and that school had commissioned the piece and I guess Dosogne
knew Dello Joio and wanted to do it himself. Sound the Trumpet I found in a
WLSM catalogue from Annie Bank when I was about 14 and I had Dutch edition
so knew the Dutch words and only later learned the real context of the work
from which it comes.
Joe Cirou

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Marion Thompson <marionwhitevale at gmail.com