[Magdalen] Music memories

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sat Dec 27 15:49:28 UTC 2014

>New York State; then Philadelphia, especially the south Philly  accent.

There is a well-known African American Actor who I used to be acquainted with
who usually sounded like Geoffrey Holder, who when asked the source of his
accent always replied "South Philadelphia."

Of course the real locals pronounce that "Fluffia."

>Finally, there is the Pittsburgh Western PA accent that was so  distinctive

Yuns?

>Care to share your experiences and knowledge of this subject?

Birminham Pennsylvania people (In my experience) seem to talk in that strong
"backwoods" Appalachian patois which often seems unintelligible to the untrained
ear. We had some of that up in Philipsburg and Osceola Mills when I lived here
as well.  A few miles from Birminham PA, I experienced a snake-handling church
service, also with an Appalachian Country accent, though perhaps tempered on the
part of the Pastor by some time spent elsewhere in the South.

Cheers
Jim Guthrie