[Magdalen] Conservatives Chafe Under Francis

ROGER STOKES roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 5 12:18:49 UTC 2014

In the RC system bishops are appointed by the Pope after consultation by his representative in the country concerned who sends a list of three candidates to the Congregation for Bishops for vetting. For anyone to become a bishop, and so get the public platform, he needs to be acceptable to the Pope. This has provided a generation of conservative bishops appointed by John Paul II and Benedict XVI who are out of touch with the /sensus fidelium/, the view of the faithful who live in the world as it is.

On the principle of not biting the hand that feeds you, and because they were selected for their faithfulness to Rome's teaching, the bishops have not dared to rock the boat.  Women like Joan Chittester, who was disciplined by Rome, did not need papal approval and so have been prepared to speak out, saying what needed to be said.

Roger