[Magdalen] Michigan football finals=great team names

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 17:57:30 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen
<magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:
> Oh well, there's nothing new about high schools preempting college
> songs as their own.  My high school borrowed the "Illinois Fight  Song",
> of UI-Champaign-Urbana.  I always have thought that tune just a
> little wimpy.

The year I was in Grade 9, we lived in Lexington, Ohio, next to
Mansfield (north-central Ohio). The best thing to do in town was join
the marching band, which was a champion in the area for its
professional approach and drum-corps-style shows. The high school used
the Ohio State University fight-song tune. There were official words
for the high-school version, and then there were unofficial words that
the women of the band enjoyed belting out on the bus trip to band
camp: "Fight on for Lexington! We've got the biggest breasts!" and on
from there in the same sort of ethos. :)

The band camp, by the way, would probably attract a lot of scrutiny
these days for the hazing practices...not only excessive work and
sleep deprivation but also forced partial nudity (within either the
male or female side of the camp, not mixed...but still) and
humiliation (freshmen, run up and shake the band director's hand,
while you wear nothing but underpants). Wouldn't fly today. I might
actually not have been terrified the whole week had we been allowed to
sleep. Did it foster teamwork and camaraderie? Meh...not a lot. I sure
went up a level or two in musicianship, though. And sunburn. But also
perhaps an emotional scar or two.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA