[Magdalen] permission to die with dignity

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 20:21:03 UTC 2014

I've done lots of Hospice work, too, Jay, and I understand the issues.
That's why I said I think it should be a person's choice. I don't have a
moral objection to it, though I sometimes get caught up in the question of
whether we have the right to take a life--even our own. And I simply don't
know what I'd do if I were ever in that position.

There is a priest, the assistant in my home parish right now who has ALS
and is at the point where she can just about move the joystick on her chair
after someone positions it for her; that's all.  She can't speak and may
have a feeding tube--I'm not sure.  But she is present every Sunday at the
altar, uses a computer-activated voice to speak, still "writes" and
preaches her own sermons. For awhile, before she got the computer thing,
others had to read her sermons for her, but now she does it.  She
distributes the bread at communion with an assistant. She still accompanies
the rector on hospital visits.

I don't think I could possibly do what she is doing and has been doing for
a couple of years now, losing one capacity after another while her mind has
stayed as sharp as ever.  But it has been an amazing gift to the
congregation. I have often thought that if I were ever in that situation I
wouldn't want to continue living, but seeing her, I don't know.  I often
think of the title of that book that Kennedy wrote called "Profiles in
Courage." She surely is an example of that.

--
Grace Cangialosi
Ruckersville, VA

"There are a lot of amazing people out there to be thankful for--
and a loving God. that's what life is about."
                                                                   Robin
Williams,  1951-2014