[Magdalen] permission to die with dignity

James Handsfield jhandsfield at icloud.com
Wed Oct 15 20:46:32 UTC 2014

I agree it should be a person’s choice.  Marcy and I have discussed this from time to time.  She has often said she hates her life as it is, and she often asks people to pray for her to die.  When I returned from my respite trip I asked her directly if she ever thought of taking direct action to end her life*.  She said ‘no’, which was a relief to me.

However, I’ve been doing some research about requirements for assisted suicide in other states.  I haven’t checked Oregon yet, but Washington requires the patient to be a resident of the state, and requires an agreement by two independent psychiatrists who have not consulted with each other.  One thing is true about both Washington and Oregon:  the final act MUST by done by the person themselves, whether it’s pushing the plunger on a syringe or taking pills or . . .  It’s likely that, if Marcy gets to the point of wanting to take her own life, it’s also likely that she would not be able to take that last measure without assistance.  I don’t know what I’d be willing to do under those circumstances.

Education is its own reward, both for the individual and for society.

Jim Handsfield
jhandsfield at att.net