[Magdalen] Day 2

ROGER STOKES roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 24 01:47:48 UTC 2014

A fairly relaxed start to the day.  After breakfast, i.e. about mid morning, I sdet off for the Georgia Winery which is pretty well next to Junction 350 on the Interstate.  I had not known about it before I spotted the sign as I drove up yesterday.  From there my intention was to ride the Incline Railway but a hand-written notice in the Pay Station in the parking lot said it was closed "until further notice".  Checking later on their website I discovered this is for routine seasonal maintenance and they hope to be open again in mid November.  Why they are doing it now defeats me.

After a replanning break back at the hotel I decided to make my trip to the George Dickel Whisky distillery today rather than tomorrow.  Rather smaller than its more famous rival not too far away just about everything is done by hand, but they still produce about 400 barrels a week.  It also has the distinction of having (for the past 50 years) had its own post office - the only one in a distillery. It is not a place one finds by chance as it's at the end of quite a long dead-end road from a small town. Cascade Hollow is so small it does not even merit a reference of its own in Wikipedia.

Dinner this evening was in the Station House Restaurant, complete with the wait staff combining serving the diners with singing or playing on the stage. I guess this is a unique restaurant with plenty of character - but sadly not for much longer. The owners are redeveloping parts of the hotel and apparently this feature is due to close on 18 December.

The question of what to do tomorrow will have to wait until then.

Roger