[Magdalen] wildlife and not-so-wildlife report

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Tue Oct 28 17:00:27 UTC 2014

Being rather less mobile than usual, I'm mostly viewing wildlife from
inside. We've seen deer several times, and they've made their presence known
in the garden, consuming carrot and rutabaga greens - which, at this point
doesn't matter much. Broccoli & brussels sprouts are completely caged so
they can't get at them. Now I need to decide whether or not to harvest them
before we go away for 6 days tomorrow. Predicted low here over that time is
22, much colder than it's been and a bit chilly for those plants.

Did see a hairy woodpecker seeing if his suet feeder was filled. Not quite
yet - bears may still be active.

It's been a warm fall here - after a freeze a bit over a month ago (right on
schedule), we've only had two or three since. Even picked tomatoes
yesterday - from volunteers which took over the greenhouse. Fall color is
long gone, with only a few beech and quaking aspens hanging on.

Time to corral my dear wife to help plant the garlic -

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com