[Magdalen] Computer Question.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 18:59:32 UTC 2014

I've often thought I'd love to go back to university and do another
bachelor's degree, but with the tools available now that were only
just over the horizon when I was in school. I remember a course in
education from a prof who had a good knowledge of what was being
developed, and he basically outlined for us (in 1980 or so) the
possibilities of a global network of computers, hyperlinking, and a
Gopher-like (remember Gopher?) menu-driven system for looking up
anything.

My mind is blown when I think about my fields of music education and
German back then and how I could work on those now if I were in
school: using my iPad to record lectures while I take notes; being
able to download lecture videos from professors' web pages and rewatch
them; not to mention communicating and submitting work electronically.

Back then, we were just salivating about some newfangled
word-processing gizmos that LET YOU SAVE STUFF AND REVISE IT before
printing it out to turn in. Wowzers! No more having to do my trick of
typing the final paper on the sort of erasable onionskin from which
one could practically wipe ink with one's finger (I cringe as I wonder
how those papers looked after being slid around in a stack on the
prof's desk).

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA