[Magdalen] medical terminology

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Oct 31 04:26:26 UTC 2014

In a message dated 10/30/2014 9:24:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jhandsfield at icloud.com writes:

But  patients want their physician to do something, and they can do that
with  fairly inexpensive lab tests.  So the doc orders the test and the
patient  goes away satisfied that their doctor did  something.>>>
My younger brother who had double specialties in Emergency and
Family Practice, joined a team of physicians consisting of father and  two
sons in Birmingham, AL because his wife wanted to live there.

It was one of the rare occasions when my brother actually asked me
for advice.  I told him to beware of this situation since he was
automatically
odd-man out.

It turns out that I was right on.  The father/sons turned out to be an
antibiotic
mill prescribing them very inappropriately in order to "do something" for
the
patient.  My brother, much more the purist, would tell a patient, for
example,
that he/she had what appeared to be a viral pharyngitis, and antibiotics
would
be of no help.  The next day the same patients would be back in their
little
clinic and one of the father/sons would prescribe an antibiotic.

It was a no win situation for my brother, who left that clinic after about
two
months.

David Strang.