[Magdalen] Hummingbird delight

Lynn Ronkainen ichthys89 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 15 09:52:48 PDT 2014

Susan, what a delightful encounter!!  The hummers are really showing up in
my small garden this year. Last winter's mulch-as-you-go approach (where I
sprinkled diced vegetable/fruit waste directly on top of the soil all
winter)  brought much success to this year's growth of the flowering plants
that they love (others not so much).  I have some of the Pineapple sage Jay
spoke of, and also a Rangoon creeper and one of those 'firecracker'
flowering bushes (the one with real leaves, not the ones that look like pine
needles) that is as tall as the roof!  Hummers summered over here this year
which does not always happen. I think they know more about world weather
conditions than we ever will and are probably saving themselves from
migrating during a bad stormy fall.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck

Thomas Merton writes, “People may spend their whole lives climbing the
ladder of success only to find, once they reach the top, that the ladder is
leaning against the wrong wall.”