[Magdalen] Film puke.

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 13:38:46 PDT 2014

We've been watching "The Leftovers". A twisted, disturbing yet weirdly
brilliant retelling of the Rapture, or at any rate "a" Rapture, if that's
what it is. Explores grief, loss and guilt with a powerful message of
simply being human.

Another series we watch and have wondered what, if anything people overseas
might make of it: Fox Crime's "Nightguard". A reality show set in Northern
Johannesburg and featuring a private security company, family owned and
run, which appears to do exactly as it likes from stop-and-search to riot
control and ad hoc social work.  It's like those Westerns where the sheriff
strides into town and kicks butt, except the heroes are these absolutely
typical laid-back (yet macho) South African types. If anyone thinks it's
being made up for the cameras, trust me - it's not!! Bizarrely fascinating.

Currently watching the movie version of Midnight's Children. Sumptuous,
wild and sad. I love movies!!

Sally D