[Magdalen] Whither Scotland?

Molly Wolf lupa at kos.net
Fri Sep 19 16:36:19 PDT 2014

 Not quite true.  Some Acadians remained or returned, and the Mi'qmac having been hanging in all along.

My kids' paternal ancestors were among the New Englanders who swarmed into the vacancy left by the displaced Acadians, and are considered Pre-Loyalist, as were the German and French Protestants who were settled in Lunenburg County and other locales during the 1750s and 1760s.  The Scots arrived in the 1770s in Pictou County.  Halifax was settled by English folk of varying respectability.

My part of Ontario, from roughly Prescott to Prince Edward County, is largely Loyalist settlement.  Glengarry, east of us and just west of the Ottawa River, was settled first by a Loyalist Scots regiment right after the Revolution; it and Cape Breton then got a mass of Scots from the Highland Clearances, as well as Mohawks who had been displaced from northern New York. But there were retired British soldiers, English of all descriptions, French spilling over from Quebec, Irish military labourers, some Famine Irish (most went to the US, having no love for British colonialism), Pennsylvania Deutsch, Germans, and a surprisingly large number of Poles, who worked in the timber trade.

Since WWII, Ontario has seen influxes of all sorts:  Italians, Vietnamese, East Indians, Caribbean people, Somalis, Lebanese, etc.  The food has improved immeasurably.

Molly

The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain