[Magdalen] How do you buy a stove?

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sun Aug 2 17:53:24 UTC 2015

From: Marion Thompson

>I've just bought a whole bunch of new appliances.  There is no natural gas in
>Whitevale and I have cooked with electric forever. A few years ago, I was
>thrilled to replace the old coil burner stove with a new glass top, Maytag,
>which I have loved loved loved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I will be

I've been very happy with our glass-topped stove since we moved to Scranton.
It's far easier to clean than the gas or electric stoves we've had over the
years. I've had no problems with scratches or anything else -- even though cast
iron skillets are pretty basic to my way of cooking.
Yes -- I've spilled tomato sauce and the other stuff, but no harm has been done.

I suspect there are different kinds of glass tops, as I know some people who’ve
had los of problems with scratches and spills.

I liked gas for the speed of getting thing boiling, but found the control of
heat overall lacking. In our house in Philadelphia, we had an electric stove
where there was a very low setting  that was meant for warning thing like baby
bot tales -- one could put one's hands on it when it was on -- and a bot of
water
would be a perfect 98-99 degrees after a bit. Not having a baby it was an
interesting, but unused feature <g>.

In Smithtown, we had an oven separate from the stove top, which we found much
more convenient. The oven was at eye level so there was no bending.Now we have a
microwave at eye level <g>.

Cheers,
Jim