[Magdalen] What We Believe - St. Paul's Bellingham

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 5 23:40:32 UTC 2015

On 06/08/2015 00:18, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> There was a report about the Pope's statement recently that the
> RCC "should treat divorced and remarried members with more
> respect by stressing to them that although they are still not
> permitted to receive Holy Communion, they are not excommunicated   (?)
>
> What's the difference?  Doesn't excommunicated mean no Holy
> Communion?

There is a subtle distinction in that somebody who is excommunicated
cannot receive any of the sacraments.  The only relevant one in this
case is anointing, especially now it has moved away from being the last
rites.  Someonbe /in extremis/ can receive the sacraments so the only
practical difference is that such a person may not receive sacramental
anointing if they are ill - unless they are regarded as being at the
point of death.

Roger