[Magdalen] Fwd: Breaking News Alert: Cancer has spread to brain, Jimmy Ca...

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 20 21:38:16 UTC 2015

On 20/08/2015 18:12, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> In a message dated 8/20/2015 11:27:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:
>
> Jimmy is  a smart man. He knows what his options are, what the realities
> are, and I  think he'll know when to say "enough".>>>>>
>
> I'm not in any way being disrespectful, but the reality here is that  I
> read some time ago that the Washington National Cathedral has
> plans for the funerals of all the living Presidents and ex-Presidents
> of the USA.

I would not expect the National Cathedral to be the body responsible for
such plans (separation of Church and state and all that) but I would
certainly expect there to be plans that have been drawn up by some
responsible body within government.  Such a funeral requires discussion
and negotiation on a confidential basis between a number of parties and
it is better to have done this before the subject dies rather than in
the immediate aftermath when time is pressing and people want decisions.

This side of the pond it is known that there are plans, reviewed
periodically, for the state funerals of various members of the Royal
Family.  When Diana, Princess of Wales, died this was obviously
unexpected and there was nothing in place so they adapted the
arrangements proposed for Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

This year is the 50th anniversary of the death of Winston Churchill and
last month I went to a special exhibition at Chartwell, his home in
Kent.  This included letters indicating that the Queen had suggested
that he be given the singular honour of a state funeral and the
agreement from various people that would be involved.

Obviously this is a separate consideration from whether and what
treatment an elderly person should receive.  It is a simple recognition
of the inevitable even though its timing may be unpredictable and so
being prepared for it when it happens.

Roger