[Magdalen] Education.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Dec 2 17:58:22 UTC 2015

In a message dated 12/2/2015 12:20:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
michaudme at gmail.com writes:

remain  amazed that Byrd and Tallis, two Roman Catholics who so
wonderfully  contributed to the music of our church, are used never (AFAICT)
in the  Roman Catholic church.
-M, not a  chorister>>>>>>>>>>

They are, of course, in the Extraordinary Form of the RC Rite --- the
Latin Tridentine.

I can't say the RC's are any better at educating even though they not  only
have musical lessons to discuss with choirs, but such stories as  Byrd,
who remained Roman Catholic and survived through his political
connections and via his own enormous talent, which, fortunately, was
recognized by authorities who could have exterminated him.

Byrd cleverly dedicated his marvelous two volume "Gradualia" (the
Latin Roman Catholic complete Proper) to Elizabeth I.  Hard to  kill
someone who dedicates books to you!

Byrd's story would make good spiritual material for RC's and so would
the story of (arguably) Britain's greatest composer, Elward Elgar,  also
a Recusant who had his feet in both the RC world and the Anglican  world.
(What Anglican Choir has not sung one of his versions of "Ave Corpus
Verum"?)

Byrd writes as though each choral part is on a different planet, and  yet
when the parts are sung at the same time, it all comes together.

David Strang.