[Magdalen] OK, Brud, here ya go!

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 06:14:43 UTC 2015

The comely young Russian princess, Lura Antonovna, was in love.  And the
latest comment by prince Ivan Petrovich, the object of her affections, gave
her reason to hope. She had just read his letter, in which he audaciously
proposed that the two of them make a trek along the entire length of the
beautiful Ural mountains.

She barely had time to read it, and had no time to reply, before she set
out on a series of rides in her equestrian competition.  The events covered
a considerable period of time, and when she returned home, she found she
had a problem, and arranged to see her physician.  It seems that all of the
horseback riding, despite her experience -- she was at that time reputedly
one of the finest riders in all of Russia -- she still found that she had
some formidable saddle sores. She was a determined competitor. During the
competitions, no matter how badly she hurt, she continued to compete, and
would not give up. Now, however, she was experiencing the consequences. The
sores were raw.

She told her family physician all about the problem. Should she go ahead
with the trip with prince Ivan Petrovich, or should she lie and make up
some excuse?

The physician examined her. Then, utterly aghast at the extent of her
injuries, he burst out:

"Tour all Ural, Lura?  Too raw, Lura! Lie!"

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford